Whitehall, NY - In 1867, New York State Supreme Court Judge Joseph H. Potter purchased the property on which Skene Manor stands. This land had previously been owned by Philip Skene, founder of Whitehall (formerly Skenesborough).
Judge Potter built a Victorian Gothic-style mansion, which he called "Mountain Terrace," on the property. Construction took place from 1872 to 1874 at a cost of approximately $250,000. The building was constructed of gray sandstone quarried from Skene Mountain by stone cutters from Italy.