Tuesday, April 19, 2011

THE WALK – DAY TWO

IMG_0744 At least it didn’t start quite as early. We had to be ready to go at 7:00 a.m. I have bags under my eyes from lack of sleep.

IMG_0746 The bus took the walkers back to the stopping point from yesterday and today the walk is 9.5 miles into Furnace Creek. The walkers start out with a long steep hill in front of them and they rapidly get spread out. Suzanne is off and walking. We won’t even try to keep up with her and her flip flops.

IMG_0747 The hills today wipe out a few of the walkers and they need rides back to the Welcome Tent. But Samantha does the entire walk both days. Now lots of other people make it both days but Samantha is only 9 years old. What a trooper. And she finishes in the middle of the pack with her Mom and her Aunt.

IMG_0749 These people are so incredible. They actually pay money to subject themselves, especially their feet, to the pain and agony of blisters and leg cramps, heat (106 today), and the sun in Death Valley.

IMG_0751 Way to go gang. You are an inspiration to all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Strange..I had my bout with cancer a couple of years ago and trooped right through it with out a single tear. But I'm crying now as I read your write up. Thanks for all you do for everyone! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly amazing. That heat would have done me in for sure. Thanks also for the beautiful scenic pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I'm just now trying to catch up on all my blog reading. Amazing how behind I have gotten. As you know Terry has also had his bout with cancer. We just hope it stays in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.