Friday, August 12, 2011

TARA JO

IMG_2662 Jim and Tara. Keeping her company at the bus station on Wednesday as she heads for a pre-release center in Butte.

 

My great-niece, Tara Jo, has been struggling to get her life together. She has been in a drug rehab place here in Billings for several months and I finally got permission to visit her a couple of weeks ago. She lived with us for a year when she was a little girl and her Mom was in Korea in the Army. She is only two years younger than Todd so she is the daughter I never had. I love her so very very much and pray that she can find her way.

When we were visiting I explained about blog land and bloggers. She was very enthralled with the whole idea and sent me a letter that I would like to share with all of you.

Aunt Sandie

Hmmm…where to start this letter. I guess I want to talk about how amazing it must have been for Cinderella to fall in love with Prince Charming and then to have him love her back, enough to search a kingdom only to discover she is being treated as a servant at the last house he searches.

I assume it felt as amazing as I would feel to meet any characters from my books. My love for these people of the pages of novels is already near as great as it possibly could be. They are my sanctuary, my refuge on a stormy day. They are the stars of my dreams and all the in betweens.

These people know little of me, if any at all. But I know everything of them. Their feelings and thoughts, their eating and sleeping habits. Who they love and who they hate and why. I know them so well I could order for them at a restaurant or pick out their outfit in the morning. The characters in my books, the good and the bad, the hero and the villain, they are my friends and if I only had the change to meet them I would give anything.

My Auntie, she’s an amazing woman, wise and full of adventure. She roams the country with the love of her life at her side. And, each day, she sits in front of her computer reading her books. These books are actually blogs.

They are the stories of lives happening every day all around this beautiful land. What is more amazing is that she gets the opportunity to meet these characters. In her travels as from a fairytale, she searches the kingdom that is our nation finding the characters from her books. How wonderful that the heroes and heroines from her stores are real tangible amazing people surviving in this real and amazing thing we all call life!

Love Tara Jo

24 comments:

  1. Some days it does feel like we are living in a fairy tale, doesn't it? Maybe we should name our RV The Hobbit Hole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you raised a fine 'daughter'..what a great analogy to the 'blogging world'..we hope and pray that she finds her way and stays on the right road. Hold you head up high Jim and Sandy..you did 'good'..as 'parents' we are only the 'vessel' to get our 'kids' on this earth what they do with it from them on is up to them..we only hope that they choose the right path, eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oh my. What a letter. It's an interesting way to look at the blogging community.

    Best wishes for Tara Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a new "peep" who is enjoying your travel and admiring your lifestyle. I always pictured much the same for myself following retirement. Alas, it hasn't happened yet. Health issues (cancer and treatment related poop) keep me pretty close to my medical team.

    I read Tara Jo's letter and want to tell you how amazing the young lady is. Not only is she a natural writer but she is sensitive and preceptive. May she be blessed with a wonderful life.

    I look forward to traveling through your blog until I can join the "On The Road Gang."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray that she can pull herself from the grips of drugs, We know from my law enforcement and one of our children 's use, how terrible compelling this addiction is. Her letter was beautiful and shows she has not lost her creativity which is a very good sign, to many times drugs causes a loss of motivation and creativity. God Bless Her. Be safe out there.. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  6. She put what blogging is into words even though she is not part of it. If she has access to a computer, you should encourage her to start a blog about the journey she is on. She might find the support and encouragement from our group of bloggers as warm and welcoming as a campfire on a cool night.

    I follow blogs of non RVers that I have found thru the blogs of RVers. Tell her she is welcome, even as just a follower. We all need friends. We all can be friends.

    She may find an even bigger family waiting for her and wishing her success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How true...the words of your young 'daughter'. Best wishes to her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful... you did good! I hope she is able to stay away from her addiction.
    Travel safe
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW What a terrific piece of writing. She is a natural. My prayers are with her as she starts a "new" life.

    Also...what Merikay said!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with those who said Tara has a beautiful talent for writing. A blog would be perfect for her, and give her great focus. All the best to Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand where Tara Jo is coming from. I have been free from the addiction of alcohol for nearly 31 years now but I didn't do it alone. The 12 step program of AA was instrumental in saving my life in those early shaky days of recovery. I don't know if my post on October 18th last year regarding October 1979 would mean anything to Tara Jo but it's there. Tell her that writing is one of the best therapies there is & what better format than a blog. I have been out here publicly laying my feelings on the line for 5 years now. Though I ambarrass myself at times & fret over what I write, it has been the best healing process for me that I can do. Tell Tara she has a natural ability to write so just look inside & write about how you feel & who you are....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck to your niece in her struggle to overcome addiction. I wish her all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, here's hoping that life turns out perfect for her as she steps out into the world again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Guys,,,just catching up!...Glad you got the book and thank you for the shoutout...We also have a "daughter" we never had..our niece Sarah...who we are proud to say just graduated from law school and took her bar exam last week..(im)patiently waiting for the results...lol...I am a big believer in tough love but also am an even bigger believer of every person needs one or two people in their life to support them with unconditional love...it sounds like your great neice has that in you..just keep letting her know you love her and you look for good things to happen for her...the world is waiting for her...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh, sob sob. What a great writer she is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a letter. Tara Jo is a wonderful writer. She has a great way with words. We will also say a prayer that she will finds her special one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved her letter. I think she could peruse writing. I wish her the best in her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Followed you back here from you following my blog...and so glad I did! Your niece is a gifted writer! Wow! She put into beautiful words how I feel about the stories I read every day (novels & blogs). She nailed it. If she chooses to start a blog, I'd be more than happy to "follow"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So young and pretty,we pray the best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sandie, do you like muffin bread? Dense, no knead. Easy. My guys love it. If you like, I'd be happy to post the recipe for you. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Certainly, the best of luck to your Niece as she makes her way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice & insightful letter!
    Thank u Sandie for reading my blog & offering help & knowledge about your journey. And we are dachsund buddies!! They are such pips! Sometimes i am at my wits end over her, they sure do have personality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very interesting way to look at blogging and travel. I hope she continues to do well in her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish Tara the best of luck for her future. She certainly has a knack for writing and should continue with it. She might be able to write a blog that would help others with addiction, as well as to keep her on the right path.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.