Monday, May 27, 2013

Anderson-Abruzzo International Balloon Museum

Albuquerque, NM  High 90  Low 56

The kids wore us out yesterday. I had a whole list of things I wanted to see and do. Figured it would take at least two days, if not longer but about 95% of them got done today.

I’m going to have to make several blog posts out of this day or this one would be miles long.

We picked up Steve and Jen and headed over to the Balloon Museum. I loved having tour guides who really know the town. We didn’t have to use the GPS at all.

A wine festival was being held in the launch area and the museum was free today. We had so much fun.

P1030386

P1030387

Did you know that sheep were sent up in the first hot air balloon to make sure it would be safe for people. Can you see the sheep in the basket?

P1030391 P1030391

Up, Up and Away we go.

P1030398

Buns over Albuquerque

P1030396

This must be what the skies over Albuquerque look like in October.

P1030406

Super Steve

P1030413

The balloon museum is named after two Albuquerque pilots who were pioneers in long-distance helium balloon flight. Ben Abruzzo and Maxie Anderson were part of the crews who first successfully crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a balloon in 1978 and the Pacific Ocean in 1981.

P1030414 

This really was a fun museum to visit. They have an interactive area which definitely entertained the “children”. Their challenge was to land a hot air balloon on a target using a simulator. Not sure I would ever want to go up in a balloon with them running it or not. lol

Saw these beautiful flowers at the entrance.

P1030389

P1030390

This fellow was serenading us when we stepped out on the balcony.

P1030417

I would highly recommend this stop while in Albuquerque.

15 comments:

  1. I expect that sheep was thrilled with the idea of being a pioneer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the balloons are pretty to look at, for me they are in the category of boats. I never want to be on one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Balloon Fiesta in Alb is one of our favorite events and we've been there 5 times. Love it.

    The Warners are camped 40ft from us and we introduced ourselves to them this morning. Nice people. How do you know them? I've followed their blog for the past 3-4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya'll looked like you were having fun riding in that balloon basket. Did you get airsick??? ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a place I'd enjoy. As long as I didn't have to go up in one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One if my wanting to things when I was younger was to rude in an air balloon! Never materialized ... The same with snow skiing.

    Now that not having to rely on a vacation to do such ... I've turned into a sissy wimp ... What a fun day and museum ... Wonder how I missed this ... looking for pie I guess

    I like Albuquerque ... Very nice downtown library

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great family photo.

    When we volunteered at the Balloon Fiesta, we toured the Museum. It is a super place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be fun. I've always wanted to do the balloon festival but maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great picture of the four of you. Boy is she tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice tour of the balloon museum!! looks like it was a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The balloon festival is definitely on our bucket list! That museum looks like a great find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noticed the "Gone Fishing" on Steve'e T-Shirt. Does he take after his father for his passion for fishing ?

    Also, Did you really actually 'GO UP' in the ballon. I'd LOVE to do that !

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is where I wanted to go when we were in Albuquerque, but according to the AAA book, it's closed on Monday which is the day we had available. If that's not the case, don't tell me or I'll be depressed. Looks like a lot of fun. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some day you should try to see the Balloon Fiesta. It is really a blast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.