Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Highway Side Attractions

A follow up on my last blog post. Michaela sent me this picture of her plant in bloom. 


When you're driving along the highway whether it's interstate or back roads, do you see signs for some type of attraction and say to yourself "I really should stop and check it out"?  When we were RVing we saw a lot of this country and yet as many times as we drove between Helena and Billings, there were still things we didn't take time to stop and see. So I decided I was going to leave early and check out a few of these places.

First stop was near Big Timber at Greycliff Prairie Dog Town State Park. It's not a large park at only 98 acres but it provides a protected preserve for blacktailed prairie dogs.

 


Blacktailed prairie dogs do not hibernate but if it's cold out, they will stay underground.  And it was plenty cold the morning I stopped. So I wasn't lucky enough to actually see any prairie dogs. Maybe next time.

 


 


Next stop was Fort Parker near Livingston.   


Fort E.S. Parker, the first Crow Indian Agency, was built in the fall of 1869.  It was named for Ely Parker, a Seneca lawyer who served as secretary to Ulysses S. Grant, wrote the Confederate terms of surrender, and was appointed as Commissioner of Indian Affairs under President Grant. 

The fort was built as a center point for distributing Crow annuities and to encourage the Crow to take up farming. It was a difficult location to teach farming, due to constant winds, cold weather, and buffalo herds roaming the area.


Just a couple of pictures along my way.



One more stop before I get back to Helena. White Sulphur Springs, MT.  Main Street.


And then there is The Castle.  It wasn't open for tours when I was there. Another thing to put on my to-see list.



This is the only castle in Montana. Built in 1892 by Byron Sherman, on the highest point in town, overlooking the Smith River Valley. The entire castle is made from solid granite hauled from the Castle Mountains by oxen. 


A couple pictures of beautiful Big Sky Montana



 

And a perfect picture of Elias and his beautiful Mom, Michaela.


 


2 comments:

  1. When we were in the RV, we would see things and think we should stop, but we didn't. Glad you're stopping and looking at the things. The grandbaby certainly is an adorable child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be the world's worst at being committed to going from point A to point B with no site seeing in between. As a result, we have missed a lot that we should have seen and if I had a do-over, I'd be different (or try to be). Glad you are enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.