Monday, October 23, 2023

Elkhorn - A Montana Ghost Town


 Back in Helena with my sister and her hubby, Don.  I'm spending a few days with them before I start my trek back to the desert. (I'm already back home in the desert, just way behind on the blog.)

 Don owns a cabin in a ghost town. A real ghost town called Elkhorn which is Montana's smallest state park. It consists of two buildings on less than 1 acre of land. The rest of Elkhorn is privately owned.

Don's cabin


 One day we decided to take a ride up to the cabin and just enjoy the beauty of Montana. Don was born and raised in this area and it's really fun to hear the stories he can tell about his life - at least the ones he's willing to share.

Beautiful skies

 

 Elkhorn is located about 18 miles northeast of Boulder, MT and part of the road is not paved. You could also run into a Montana traffic jam like we did.



Finally made it through the jam (the cowboys/girls were not inclined to help us out at all) but Don did a great job. Car needed a bath afterwards, especially the tires.



Lots of pictures

They have put up signs explaining what buildings used to be in each spot. Not much left of a lot of those buildings.




Elkhorn was founded in 1872 as a silver mining camp. Elkhorn was different than most camps because it was a family town. At its height it had around 2500 residents. As silver prices dropped and a diphtheria epidemic killed many of the children, the town was abandoned in the 1970s.


 The owners of the property have a really nice fire hall which is essential. Montana has a large amount of fires and if they had a dry winter without much snowfall, all the trees and buildings become tinder. 


 Currently there are about 6 or 7 people who actually spend all year in Elkhorn. Most of the cabins are summer people. Don's neighbors have lots of animals at their place, including these cute little pigs.


 
Fraternity Hall and Gillian Hall = the state park

 

We also took some time out to enjoy a Music and Arts Festival in Boulder. Small town fun. Good music and lots of craft booths. A relaxing way to enjoy the sunshine and the gorgeous clouds.

Boulder's Main Street


 




And you know I have to include this next picture.




2 comments:

  1. Looked at Elkhorn on Google Earth - Its definitely out in the middle of nowhere. With the red roof, easily found Don's cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am catch up reading and wow was my first thought. What a wonderful trip you took in many ways. It is your journey and you are living it your way. I cannot imagine what it must be like to find a way to move forward after being half of a couple but you are exploring and moving forward. How wonderful to read about this trip.
    I enjoyed your pictures I always do so like cloud pictures.
    I know what you mean I write way better in my head then when it translates to the blog...lol I am not sure there can ever be to many pictures of a cute grandchild and he is a cutie. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.