Friday, December 13, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness

Apache Junction, AZ  High  62  Low 39

One quick note about my Chevy lovin’ hubby. When we met he was driving a Trans Am.

picture taken from CarGurus.com

trans am

And what was I driving? Can you believe he even thought about asking me to dance?

amc pacer

My husband is amazing. Why I got so lucky I’ll never know but I do hope he knows how much I love and appreciate him.

Why am I going on about this today? Well, let me tell you.

P1070527We headed to my sister’s place in Mesa to pick up some medication that got sent to them by mistake (a long, horrible story) and Don had brought it down with him. Don is putting up a TV antenna so Jim jumped in to help him out.

They got the antenna up and we left Don to finishing running the necessary cable.

We decided to stop at Subway on our way home. They have a December special. Their cold cut and meatball 6” subs are only $2 a piece. We were enjoying our sandwiches when a young man (maybe in his late 20’s, early 30’s – it was hard to tell) came in. He asked for a cup so he could have a drink of water.

He sat down at a table to drink his water and Jim and I looked at each other. We both had the same thought – he’s hungry. Jim got up and went over to him and asked if we could buy him a sandwich. He just lit up and said “yes sir, thank you.” Jim got him the chips and a drink also. Then I noticed the cookies and told Jim to add some cookies to his tab. I’m so glad we did because as we left those were the first part of the meal he was eating.

His communication skills were very limited and he didn’t really make any eye contact. But his whole body showed how happy he was to have something to eat.

We don’t have much money but we certainly could afford that sandwich. Sure made my day a whole lot brighter.

After we left Subway and were headed home we drove by a box on a corner that had FREE written on it. I immediately got concerned that someone had dropped off a box of kittens or puppies and had just left them there. Jim knew I was concerned and figured out a way to get around the block and go back so I could check the box. It was just full of stuff so I could relax. But he knew that it would bother me if we didn’t go back so he went back.

I bet I drive him crazy at times. Or maybe all the time. But I’m sure glad he puts up with me.

I know that we as humans seem to think of others more at this time of year but I want to encourage each of you to be aware of those around you that might be in need. Maybe just a smile or a kind word could make their day a whole lot more worth living. Others may be hungry and need a sandwich. Maybe a Mom with some little ones could just use an extra hand to carry things. Or as Rick at Life 101 did at the doctor’s office – he took the time to listen to a stranger.

Whatever it might be. Pass on those little acts of kindness. It sure does make you feel good inside.

34 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I've always sensed, about you and Jim, that little acts of kindness are a way of life for you. It was great to read, but it comes as no surprise to me.

    As for Rick, sometimes I write my blog and there are a few people who "listen". I know I don't have to tell you who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You drove a Pacer! My best friend from Ohio had Pacers for years. I bet he went through 4 or 5 of those "beautiful" cars.

    Great post....makes me want to go out and "pass-on" the kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I remember and miss the most about my dad...how kind he was! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a nice thing you did. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cars! I'd much rather be sure we give to someone who needs it than a panhandler on a streetcorner asking for cigarette or beer money. We ran into a fellow recently at a gas station who was on the phone with his mother. He was missing his wallet and thought he had left it at the last stop. We gave him gas money to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice gesture indeed!
    I always wanted a Pacer...fortunately I never got one.
    What is a TV antennae?
    I've been scammed by pan-handers so many times I've grown cold to them...maybe I should lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always appreciated the Good Samaritans that I've run into in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful! Hopefully many of your readers will be inspired to do the same. At our RV park here in Mazatlan we have just raised $2500.00 USD to buy food for the needy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a homeless guy in Casa Grande that we have seen at almost the same place every year. We are going to get him some McDonalds and go find him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story Sandie and very kind of you - I fear that our generation may be the last one to think like this and actually care about others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of good younger people out there too. Unfortunately, they are not the ones who make the news.

      Delete
  11. You are nice people, Sandie and Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a very kind gesture on your part Sandy and Jim. I'm sure the young man was truly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We would much rather buy a stranger a sandwich then give them cash , a very nice gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a blessing to all. You are so right about kindness,there is never too much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and I think Jim knows he was lucky to get you too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Obviously love conquers all if a Trans Am driver can marry a pacer driver.
    Passing it forward is a very rewarding hobby with a great deal of satisfaction involved.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful post today, Sandie. You and Jim and special folks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoy passing on our good luck. We've been the recipient at times, too, and that's also good. You and I are also lucky to have husbands who will go out of their way to do good things for us. Isn't it wonderful that we don't have to feel we deserve this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a warm heart for others --including the animals. That was so nice what you all did for that young man. As you said, it doesn't take much money to share the love with others. Glad there weren't kittens in that box too....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What you do to others, you are doing to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We'd love to win that Mega Millions jackpot so we could give it all away to people in need. We are so blessed to have what we have.

    You've paid it forward. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made me cry. Thank you for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are just "good people"... makes me feel good just knowing you were so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  24. a kind gesture goes a very long way!..so very nice of you to help the man out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an inspiring post! You expressed it so well! Psst..I am freezing in Deming, NM!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful post. We should all do more of that. That young man was someone's son - thinking as a mother, I'm sure she also appreciated your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  27. aw... very nice stuff, Sandie.... loved reading this ... again, yoiu and Jim are soooooo cute! with each other... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great post Sandie ! And oh I remember the Trans Am so well !!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Teared up when we read this, what a great thing you did.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was really a wonderful thing that you did. Not everyone is as lucky as we are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.