Saturday, July 20, 2024

Caliente and Cathedral Gorge

Panaca, NV  High 101  Low 76

After not having any luck tracking down Aliens, I headed further north on Highway 93.

I reached Pahranagat National Wildlife Area. Jim and I camped here a few times so I took a small drive down by the water. It's a beautiful area and when the weather cooperates the place is packed with campers. With the heat I truly did not expect to see anybody else and yet I met three different cars coming and going. But no RVs. The camping is free but there are no hookups and no generators allowed. 

 


 

After Pahranagat I reached Calinete. My main reason for stopping here was to see the Train Depot and visit the museum. Well, that was a bust. They are doing a massive reconstruction project on it and the museum was closed.

This is what it looked like before.

 []

 And this is what I saw this time.


 

So I took some pictures of the main street in town. 

Does Radio Shack still exist?


 

Next stop - Cathedral Gorge State Park

Between Caliente and Panaca is Cathedral Gorge which began with explosive volcanic activity that deposited layers of ash hundreds of feet thick. This park covers 1800 acres and was originally home to the Fremont, Anasazi and Southern Palutes. In 1924 it became a state park.

I did not do any hiking - remember it's really hot outside and I don't do much uneven ground walking because my ankle does not work properly. But Miller's Viewpoint gave me some great pictures.





When the weather cools down, it's a great place to take a hike.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully your ankle is healed and the temperature cooler for your return trip, so you can visit the places presently closed.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.