Saturday, September 30, 2023

Viva Las Vegas

  Jim and I have visited Las Vegas many times over the years. We've done a lot of exploring and visiting places like the Mob Museum, Pinball Hall of Fame, Shelby Cars, the Atomic Museum and the Springs Preserve. We've been to NASCAR races and explored Fremont Street.

 My visit this time was to check in with one of my longest, and dearest friends. I met Steve back in 1968 when we were both attending Business College in Salt Lake City. That is 55 years and our friendship just gets better and better. 

Steve and his partner, Peter, have a beautiful home near the airport, so I found a hotel not far from their place and prayed I wouldn't die trying to get there. Las Vegas traffic is not my idea of fun. And the road construction is everywhere. But I arrived safely. This picture was taken from where my car was parked so you can see how close I was to the airport. I was surprised at how quiet the rooms were.


Peter has been going through chemo and radiation for the second time and gets tired easily. I made arrangements to go visit the next morning on my way out of town. I recently got the news that his latest PET Scan is clear and everything is looking really positive. So we are very grateful for that news. (Steve is in the blue shirt.)


 After having a wonderful visit, I braved the traffic and construction to get out of town. My next scheduled stop was Parowan, UT. But first I had to go through the Virgin River Gorge on I-15 in Arizona. I-15 cuts across Arizona between Mesquite, NV and St. George, UT.

I learned a whole lot about Daisy on this drive. First of all she loves to go fast. Speed limit is 80 mph and she drove like a dream at that speed. BUT she does not like going up hill. Boy, does she not like that. Those of you have driven the gorge know that you do a lot of climbing going north. It is 29 miles long and has seven bridges. The scenery is incredible and I did not take a single picture because I was trying to keep Daisy going up. So it was Daisy, Me, and the trucks in the slow lane. But she made it and breathed a big sigh of relief when we got out of the gorge. 

When I had a chance, I pulled over because the clouds were just incredible and I needed a picture and a break.


We made it to Parowan and had an interesting room for the night. There was a sign in the room that stated that the furniture in this room was made of reclaimed elm wood, which was selected from antique doors of over 100 year old houses in China.


 

I was exhausted so I just had a bagel for dinner and watched some TV. Tomorrow is Salt Lake City.  

 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a good Road Trip. Hope Daisy continues to do what is expected of her.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy the adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you were able to connect with Steve and his partner. They best of health to them both.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.