Saturday, August 17, 2024

Great Falls Tour - Post 2

Same as yesterday

When many people think of the Great Falls of the Missouri River, they imagine one large waterfall. However,there are five separate falls,extending approximately 10 miles that drop the water level a total of 612 feet.

I especially liked this picture of the train rolling over the dam.

With the construction of the dams and the installation of electric street lights, Great Falls became known as "The Electric City." This Electric City was home to the largest Opera House between Minneapolis and Spokane. 

 

 

When we visited the Falls, there was very little water running over the dams. I hope to someday see them when they are running at full capacity.

 


 

 

 


Great Falls has many firsts in the state of Montana.

  • Fire Bell 1887
  • Elected African American - Geraldine Travis elected to the Montana Legislature in 1974
  • Female Newspaper Editor - Martha Rolfe in 1895. She was the daughter of the first territorial governor of Montana and was also the first white woman to live in Great Falls.
  • Motorized Firefighting Apparatus - 1910
  • African American Public Library Director - Alma Jacobs - 1954 - 1973
  • Female Firefighter - Kathy Taylor - 1982

Next Stop on the tour is Gibson Park named for the founder of Great Falls, Paris Gibson in 1903. 

This cabin was the first home built in Great Falls and was owned by Vinegar Jones. "He built and operated a vinegar factory. Some say his nickname "Vinegar" came from the vinegar plant; others insist the name really captured his acerbic personality."



Great Falls has a copy of the Statue of Liberty in Gibson Park. It was placed there as a part of the Boy Scouts of America's 40th Anniversary and the Crusade to Strengthen Liberty.


 Other buildings of interest

 The Masonic Temple - 1914

 Saint Anne's Cathedral


 


There are a couple of pictures missing because I can't find them on my phone. Nothing new for me. So they will just have to wait til my next visit. 

After our day of sight seeing, I was exhausted so we called it a day. Tomorrow I head for Billings and family. Thank you Wendi and I'll see you next summer.

(Blogger is giving me fits today so if this post looks funny, I apologize.)

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone with blogger. I think Google has the flu!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google is messing with everyone. Glad you are enjoying family time.
    Be Safe.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.