Saturday, June 15, 2013

To The Planets and Beyond

Casper, WY  High  92  Low 57

The next stop on our journey north was Casper. We pulled into the Fort Caspar RV Park in the early afternoon. This park got some pretty good reviews but I was not impressed at all. It is a Passport America park and for $20 a night, I would stay here again over night. Sites are nothing but big rocks, back-ins, and close together. Lots of permanent residents and they do keep their sites reasonably neat. But they leave for work at 4:30 and 5:00 in the morning and are not quiet about it.

We got set up and decided that we really didn’t want to do a lot of site seeing. I think we’re starting to wear out. However, there was a four o’clock show at the Planetarium about the solar system that sounded okay.

planetarium

The show was geared to a much younger audience but I learned a lot and rather enjoyed it. Guess we’re both still kids somewhere inside. The young man running the show talked really fast and mumbled so we missed a lot of what he was saying when he was identifying the constellations for us.

Ursa Major

Now does that really look like a bear to you? Not to me even after he pointed it out to us. Big Dipper I can find but that’s about it.

planetarium1

We took a journey to our eight planets and learned about each planet as we zoomed by. (I still have trouble with the fact that Pluto is no longer a planet.) I am also awed by the fact that astronomers are able to learn such incredible things about places we’ve never been.

9 comments:

  1. I do enjoy a starry night. The big and little dipper are about it for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stars in the sky. I used to know a lot about the stars but can't say that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you don't keep up with it you lose your memory of the constellations. One thing I can always spot (other than Orion) is Casseiopea (is that the "W" or "M", depending on your orientation to it?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stars have always fascinated me. They put my thoughts on a long journey, but always ending with: What is behind all this. Can something be really endless? There's gotta be some end to it. No? Like I said it's fascinating to gaze into eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Big Dipper and Cassiopeia are it for me. Never could remember how to find the North Star. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm upset about Pluto too - especially since Las Cruces astronomer Clyde Tombaugh discovered the dwarf planet in 1930. :-(

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Tombaugh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love a planetarium. And I get worn out just reading about everything you do. One thing a day is my limit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.