Friday, June 14, 2013

Oregon Trail Ruts and Register Cliff

Guernsey, WY  High 100 Low 62

Marcie and Brian told us we really needed to stop in Guernsey and see the ruts that were left by the wagons of the pioneers. I found a city park, Larson Park, campground for $20 E/W. The campground is 1/2 mile from the ruts and 1 1/2 miles from Register Cliff.

ruts10

The town of Guernsey lies directly on the old Oregon Trail on the North Platte River. In the 1840’s this area was known as the “emigrant’s wash tub.” Here in the North Platte River the pioneers washed clothes, watered stock and took baths.

Register Cliff

P1030974

P1030963Register Cliff is a sandstone cliff that was a key landmark used by pioneers to verify they were on the correct path up to South Pass. Many emigrants chiseled the names of their families in the soft stone of the cliff. An estimated 500,000 emigrants used the Oregon Trail, the California Trail, and the Mormon Trail through this area from 1843-1869 with up to one-tenth dying along the way.

register cliff The earliest signatures date to the late 1820s when trappers and fur traders passed through the area, but most of the names visible today were carved during the 1840s and 1850s when the Oregon Trail was at its height.

Oregon Trail Ruts

ruts

The sandstone rocks near Guernsey tell the story of the wagon trains of emigrants headed west in the mid-1800s. The trail ruts are carved into the stone. Some gouges are more than four feet deep!

ruts5 The first recorded use of this route was in 1812, when Robert Stuart and six companions returned to the East from the mouth of the Columbia River. The 1841 Bartleson-Bidwell party is generally recognized as the first wagon train of settlers to use the trail. And thousands followed in the next few years. The Oregon Trail soon became a clearly defined and well-used road. The Oregon, California, Mormon and Pony Express Trails followed this same route.

ruts7

I am always humbled when I walk these paths where the pioneers traveled. I cannot imagine pulling a hand cart or traveling in a wagon with a team of oxen or walking all these long hard miles. In all kinds of weather. Many dying along the way. Some were motivated by greed heading for the gold fields, but most were just looking for a better way of life.

20 comments:

  1. They sure paved the way for exploration for us, didn't they. No wonder some of us love to travel and find "better" places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it incredible??? I love to read stories about them... and see these places, last summer I went by Chimney Rock & Scotts Bluff, great places to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing the wagon ruts in Kansas as well. You wonder what they would think if they could come back now - wouldn't recognize the place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, it's very humbling to see this trail and the tracks and just trying to imagine how hard life was back then. We have life so easy now and people still complain about it, they just have no idea how hard life was at one time.

    Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the Oregon Trail ruts near Baker City, OR, I felt honored to be able to see that part of pioneer history. Names carved along the way have the same effect on me. You expressed it well about what the pioneers went through in order to better their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be very humbling to be in the samee place the pioneers traveled. Neat photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often think of how hard it must have been. Many a woman had no say in going or not. They watched their children struggel and their men work hard as well. We have life so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life was certainly harder back then - we have it so easy now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it a shame what present day "man" had to do to that sight. We've been there a couple of times and found very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about being humbled. When we were in Italy and walked Pompi, Carrie and I kept trying to image what it would have been like to live back in Caesar's time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes it is most humbling. I just love visitng places like that and seeing first hand the history of this great land.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess we need to be thankful that we aren't driving on roads like that. Can you imagine trying to get your 5th wheel any place in a timely manner if you had to worry about those ruts?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree it is humbling to think of what these people went through. It is amazing that so many were willing to go through all those hardships to find a better life for themselves and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I loved this post. We MUST go there some day. History is not really my thing but I love the history of the Oregon trail. (now I must go look and see what state you are in)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the flash back:) We thought it was a very interesting site:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a moving sight. I read this one aloud to my husband. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really something to see those pictures... I often wondered when I saw the beautiful but steep areas ... how in the world did the pioneers accomplish this. amazing and indeed humbling

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always wanted to see the ruts, have to admire the pioneers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That place really affected me too. I can't imagine doing anything like that. I'm inconvenienced by not having phone and internet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.