Wednesday, October 26, 2011

THIRD TIMES THE CHARM

Hey HoboJoe – yes Jim is a very, very lucky man to have found me. Just ask me I’ll tell you how lucky he is. LOL But to be completely honest – I’m the lucky one. For those of you are new to my blog, I was old (almost 38) when I found Jim (or did he find me?) and got married for my first and only time.  Marrying Jim was definitely the best and smartest thing I’ve ever done in my life.

IMG_0028

I have an aunt who lives in Mesa. Her name is Norma but we have always called her Aunt Happy. Her husband and my Dad are brothers, but she’s the only one that’s left. She just turned 98 in August and we wanted to pop in and surprise her because she doesn’t expect us until closer to Thanksgiving.

Well, let me tell you, popping in to surprise a 98 year old woman is not the thing to do. No, not because of her heart, but because she is NEVER home. We stopped Friday afternoon and she was out gallivanting with a friend who took her shopping. Saturday when we stopped by she had gone to a Memorial Service and then had gone to play cards with her friends. Finally on Sunday, we actually found her home. But the only reason she was home was because the front desk had told her someone was looking for her and she was hoping it was up. So she put her Sunday plans on hold so she’d be home.

This lady just cracks me up. She is so sharp. She told us how she met Uncle Don on a blind date and married him before he went off to war. She talked about dating men from the CCC camps. Then we went on to discuss the stock market. She knows all of the stocks she owns and follows them in the paper. Still loves to play the horses (the wooden ones they use at the Senior Living Complex) and dime bingo. Like I said, she is on the go most of the time.

She had made one concession to getting older. She has hired a girl to come in and stay with her at night. She fell last year and it scares her to think that she might fall again. But other than that she is going strong.

What a delight she is.

19 comments:

  1. You are very lucky to have an Aunt so sharp at 98. God bless her and give her many more good years. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it grand to have older relatives to tell you about their youth? I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It took you how many days to catch up with her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have identical twin aunts (my paternal grandfather's sisters) who will be 101 next month. They are "sharp as tacks" and only last year moved into an assisted living facility. They are my heroes!

    Kerri in AL :-)
    HomeschoolingSolo.blogspot.com (although Blogger says I am "anonymous"!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please take us to meet Aunt Happy, if we can find her at home. Sounds like a character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story. 98 and going strong! Next time you will know to call ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember you writing about Aunt Happy before. How cool to be able to hear neat stories about her FROM her! She sounds like my 83 yr. old dad. I call him and he isn't home. I leave a message, no return call. WHY...he is busy! Oh Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish more people would wait till they found the right man. Sure would save a lot of grief! We met in our thirties, too. Most people assume we have adopted our kids or are raising our grands. Hubs tells them I can remember every labor pain. That is one thing I don't miss!! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed your story about your Aunt Happy. What a positive person - guess that's why she is still going strong at 98. Enjoy every minute with her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see Aunt Happy is doing so well. She seems like a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Staying active and busy is a great way to reach 98!! She sounds like a lot of fun! What a great example for us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Golly ... do you think any of us will be that lucky?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for Aunt Happy! A positive outlook, I think, is important for a long life, and just the fact that you all call her "Aunt Happy" says a lot about her. I hope we'll all follow in her footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aunt Happy sounds like a real 'hoot'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very happy story about Aunt Happy. Thanks for sharing her with your blog readers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those family stories. We were talking yesterday about how I know more of Dave's Dad's stories than he and his siblings do because I helped Carl sort and pack his stuff for moving and we took lots of breaks during which he would reminisce. My advice is to listen to as many of Aunt Happy's stories as you can while you can. They can help you make sense of your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Aunt is doing great and it sounds like she has a wonderful outlook on life. Life doesn't stop just because you are getting older. Once you stop you might not get going again.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well Sandie, all I can say is, I'm USUALLY as lucky as Jim :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful woman! I'm sure you go to a lot of memorial service if you live to be 98. So glad you finally tracked her down!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.