Sunday, October 22, 2017

Pretty Balloons and My Thoughts

The mornings were definitely cold but according to the people reporting from the launch field, the conditions were perfect for launching the balloons. Tuesday was the best day for us because the balloons passed right over us.

They are huge and loud. Buck (Jeri and Terry’s bulldog) hated them. I felt really bad for him because he just shook and hid if he saw any of them. Our pups could have cared less.

DSCN4259

DSCN4470

These are the balloons that offer the balloon rides to the public. We didn’t price the rides because none of us were interested, but I think the cost is between $300 and $400.

DSCN4159 

1975 was the first year that people were allowed on the field with the balloons.

DSCN4187

Yoda kind of snuck in on this picture.

DSCN4284

In 1986 they held the first glow. There wasn’t a glow the three nights we were there.

DSCN4310

DSCN4142

In 1978 they had the first “key grab”. A set of keys was hooked to a really high pole and the balloonists would try to grab the keys as their balloon floated by. It sounds easy but remember, the pilots have very little control of their balloon. The wind is in charge. It wasn’t until 1981 that they finally had a winner. The prize was a brand new car.

DSCN4262

DSCN4274

Attending this balloon festival should be on everybody’s bucket list. For us though, it was a one time thing. I know that being able to volunteer down on the launch field is a lot of fun, but neither Jim nor I are physically able to help anybody. So we did not go down to the launch field.

DSCN4280After the balloons are done launching (and believe me, it is beyond incredible), everything shuts down including the vendors. Jeri and I talked about what a shame it was that there weren’t any vendors out  in the RV parking area. There is probably some reason for it but I sure don’t know why not.

So from 9:00 a.m. to sunset, there is almost nothing to do at the venue. The balloon museum is open but Jim and I had already explored it with our kids. In fact, we have explored most of Albuquerque with Steve and Jen over the years.

DSCN4281That meant for most of the time we found it rather boring. Like I said, they did not have a glow any of the nights we were there. The week-ends are when most events take place. But that is when all the crowds show up. And I don’t do crowds. Thursday and Friday all the kids are out of school and they take over the fiesta.

It is definitely a must see but we won’t do it again.

8 comments:

  1. It is definitely on my bucket list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but I have no desire to see a balloon fiesta. I LOVED it when I was in Cottonwood and Sedona and they flew over us and sometimes landed very close by. I got hear to dragon breath sound of them flying overhead, saw them land, the people exit the baskets, the crew fold up the balloon material, load it into the trucks and drive away. I was able to talk to the balloon riders and the crews. It was a blast and I really ejoyed it, but to travel to a balloon festival, pay to get in, and deal with the traffic and crowds - well it's not on my bucket list. I'm glad you got to see some great balloons, though. Maybe seeing it all on blog posts makes me feel like I've been there, done that. LOL Thanks for the great pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing, the balloons are beautiful and fun to see. We have seen a small ballon festival at Callaway Gardens in Georgia, and they do the glow around the lake on the weekend. Again, it is a small (in number) balloon festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have done the balloon festival in Yuma and Lake Havasu, both the perfect size. I think the Albuquerque festival would be too crowded for me also. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the over crowding not my thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done a super job at posting all the pictures and wrap-up of the festival. I guess I'm getting lazier and lazier at blogging. I've always wanted to do the festival but it was so dang cold in the morning. I loved the experience but you are so right. There was so much sitting around time. I think the festival lost of lot of potential revenue. Maybe we've just been to so many other places where non stop events captured everyone's attention. Loved the company we were with. Buck wasn't thrill with any part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a great job showing all the goings on with the festival, I now don't have to go there to see it in person... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, everyone should see it at least once. If we would go back, it would be to volunteer again. They keep their volunteers very busy...even in the day. Glad y'all were able to see such an awesome sight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.