Tuesday, November 9, 2010

AMARILLO BY MORNING

IMG_7768 The Big Texan – Home of the 72 oz steak.

The restaurant was originally opened in 1960 on Route 66. In the mid-1960’s signs began cropping up along Route 66 inviting travelers to come in for a 72 oz steak dinner that was FREE if it could be eaten in one hour.

That’s 4 1/2 lbs of meat, people, 4 1/2 lbs!!! IMG_7770

In the early 1970’s, I-40 was built replacing Rte 66 as the major traffic lane. The owner built a new restaurant along I-40 and the giant cowboy out front was moved by helicopter from the old place to the new.

A young man sitting at our table took them up on their challenge but we didn’t stick around IMG_7765to see if he was able to eat it all in one hour. The meal consists of the 72 oz steak, three shrimp, one dinner roll, one baked potato, and one salad. If you don’t succeed in eating the meal in one hour it will cost you $72.00. Needless to say, Jim and I passed on this one.

IMG_7758 However, our sirloins were marvelous and I would definitely eat there again. (I wasn’t real excited about all the Christmas decorations but they seem to be everywhere.)

 

4 comments:

  1. There's a great steak place in Portland that offers the same deal. Of course, we haven't tried it but some have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 72 oz. of red meat? My arteries are sobbing with just my reading about it. I'm glad you guys passed on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes my tummy hurt just to think about doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 1/2 lb. steak. That's a roast. And you eat it all by yourself. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.