Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Visiting a Couple of Cemeteries

Wapakoneta, OH   Still Muggy

Some people visit cemeteries to do genealogy work. But that’s not what we were doing. I had read about this very interesting grave monument in the Greenlawn Cemetery.

C20180914_124042harles F. Herbst was a farmer, financier and prominent citizen who had more money than he knew what to do with, at least in my opinion. He had this monument built using granite. The builders had to obtain special permission from the County Commissioners for the construction of a temporary railroad track across the road from the Western Ohio main line to reach a point near the monument site.

T20180914_124042he monument is made of granite and weighs 160 tons. For whatever reason, under the canopy is a chair chiseled out of granite which appears to be finely upholstered. I tried to find something that would explain why he wanted the chair but I couldn’t find any information on it.

From this cemetery we headed to the Blackhoof monument. Blackhoof was a chief of the Shawnee. His Indian name was Catahecassa. He represented the Shawnee at the signing of the Treaty of Greenville in 1794. He worked for peace with the Americans and was a major problem for Tecumseh and the Prophet as they tried to united the Indians against the white settlers.

20180914_125639

20180914_125642

20180914_125717

Got back to the fairgrounds and saw this person “walking” their dog. He is on a leash.

20180914_184113

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like another fun day, that is one huge monument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love checking out the gravestones. It's great entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness what a monument.

    We have seen people "walking" their dogs that way especially in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always glad that when I visit a cemetery, I'm able to leave... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen lots of people walking their dogs while bicycling but this was my first driving one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really enjoy exploring cemeteries and thier stories. This looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to see in Wapakoneta. For such a small town even the City Hall is beautiful.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like looking at some of the elaborate head stones and monuments. Some great ones in Savannah,Ga at Bonaventure cemetary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love very old cemeteries. I have found so many here in AZ. That huge one with the chair is really something and your right he had way to much money and didn't know what else to do with it I guess

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.