This fire tower was built in 1876 after a huge fire destroyed the downtown area of Helena. It stands 25 feet tall and gave the watchmen, who were on duty 24 hours a day, a 360 degree view of Helena. The bell was used not only to warn of fire, but also to signal an 8:30 curfew for children. It is one of only 5 such towers left standing in the United States.
The Bluestone House, which sits right below the Guardian, was designed as a private residence for Lillie McGraw, one of Helena’s wealthy madams. However, she ran out of money and the house was never finished.