Monday, January 16, 2017

Meet Rocky Joe

AJ, AZ   High 57  Low 45 – I’m getting tired of cloudy days and rainy weekends.

rocky5

We really did not want another dog. But we could not say no to this little boy who desperately needed a furever home.

Skittlez has just been so lonely and cries so much that on Saturday we decided to go “talk” to Happy Tails Dachshund Rescue who was having an adoption event at Pet Smart.

We walked in and there he was. Rocky is 12 years old (same age as Skittlez) and had been in the rescue for a year because nobody wanted him. When he was turned into the rescue, he was malnourished and blind because of cataracts. His buddy was also turned in with him but his buddy had since been adopted so he was alone.

DSCN2939

A wonderful lady stepped up and paid for his cataract surgery so he can see again. His sight is still not perfect but neither is Skittlez. He had to have 22 teeth and some growths removed. In the picture below, you can see that he doesn’t have much fur but it is starting to come back with good nutrition. We are also giving him Melatonin which is what Scooter’s dermatologist told us to give her and it did wonders.

DSCN2936

How could we not fall in love with him. He does have a couple of issues that we are working on. Because he has been through so much trauma and several foster homes, he’s very nervous and occasionally snaps and snarls at Skittlez. His foster Mom said that it would probably take a couple of weeks for him to relax and feel secure enough to stop that. We have already seen an improvement in just a couple of days.

He is not friendly with other dogs so we aren’t going to be socializing him with anyone besides Skittlez. He does not have any food aggression which is great.

DSCN2931He has some arthritis and limps but it sure doesn’t slow him down. He is really a lap dog and spends most of his time laying on Jim’s lap while Skittlez is in mine. He snapped at me but it was because I tried to pick him up and I think it hurt him. He does much better if we just let him jump up into our laps.

 

rocky1

He is used to having a doggy door and he hates when Jim goes outside without him. He pushes at the door to get it open and doesn’t understand why he can’t go out where Jim is.

rocky

Skittlez is still not sure what is going on and really doesn’t like it when he snaps at her. We haven’t left them alone together yet but hopefully tomorrow will be the day and Skittlez won’t cry.

Love the ears

rocky6

25 comments:

  1. Aww, He couldn't have been accepted to a better home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new family member!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my what a sweetie. You are so wonderful to take him in. That fact that both of your doxies are now the same age will workout in the long run. I'm certain that he will settle in very quickly. Not sure that I would leave them alone for a long time yet but maybe just test it out and don't go too far away, maybe listening distance.

    So happy for you all. Hugs to all four of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God bless you two. I hate reading about any animal being abused! We sure hope Skittlez and Rocky become very good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your new addition. He's a lucky dog to have been found by you and thank you for taking him in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you guys AND Rocky!! He sure has found a wonderful forever home. Hopefully he and Skittlez will become good friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that sound like a great solution all around hope things work out he is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you could take Rocky he will be in good hands now and he will definitely be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh he is lovely, he's a lucky boy. I do love senior dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised you got another dog, but then again I'm not surprised. I hope it works out for you, Jim, and especially Skittlez.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shock! Famous last words .. no more dogs. I certainly understand and good for you. Sounds like Rocky needed a home and you needed another one too. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations...he is one lucky puppy ! Im so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, I think he is lucky to come to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire people like you and Jim so much!! My one and only attempt at rescuing a dog was a disaster--I did find her another home and checked on her frequently--she was very happy with a litter mate who also chewed everything in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done the right thing. Good for you! I wanted to mention that in Quartzsite, the Liquidation Place has Melatonin for $1.00 a bottle. We always get ours there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww what a sweet face and yes those ears. I'm sure he will settle in nicely. Fred almost wound up at that rescue when for some reason my paper work for adopting him fell throw the cracks. Glad I caught it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats on your new addition...I'm sure he will fit in nicely..just takes some time..he is a lucky boy to have a new home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! I'm sure the two will work it all out once Rocky settles in.

    So sweet of you both to give him a second chance in such a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a wonderful heart to take in the little fellow. I'm sure he'll thrive with all the love you give him. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  20. He's just darling - I'm so happy for Rocky that you picked him. I was tearing up just reading about his history. I hope he settles in quickly and that both dogs end up being great friends. Happy for you guys and Skittlez, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, in that first picture, Sandie, he looks like he could fly with those ears. I imagine it takes any dog a length of time to readjust to new homes; especially an older dog. Then, you have Skit who may take some time letting the new guy in. I'm sure with the love you and Jim show, they will do just fine. I'll be going through the same thing in the fall between Susan's new pup and my adopted small dog. You'll be hearing from me for advice! :! Give Skit and Rocky pats and hugs for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! How good is that? A very warm welcome to little rocky from me. What a quizzical looking little bloke. Now stop the snapping, aye Rocky? You're safe as houses where you've landed yourself, mate .... So just settle in and be kind to Skittlez. She's one really nice Sheila. And Skittlez ... Be patient ... He's had a bit of a rough trot. Oh I'm so excited for you all .. What good news. Can't wait to hear more about how it's all going. Looks like you've got a dog each again. Rocky seems Ro have accepted Jim straight away, aye? Love, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that is so great. I am sure that Rocky will soon feel right at home and will love being loved. I hope that both he and Skittlez become wonderful friends. Congratulations!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on Rocky and how sweet of you both to take him in. I hope Skittlez gets used to him and they become best buddies. We never made it to Q because we are still stuck in CA with all the crazy nonstop snow and rain. Just too soggy still. We will be in Apache Junction end of March though and Surprise mid Feb - mid March if we can ever get out of here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting today. I look forward to reading your comments. Have a beautiful day.